This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Fix Permanently [Solved]
PradeepLast Updated On: February 19, 2018
This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Fix – The error saying, “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine” or “Windows 7 build 7601 not genuine” can be quite irritating. We understand your feeling of irritation where your screen suddenly turns black with the program still visible but still not letting you change the dark black background. So, today we are here with the tutorial on how to fix this error.
How to solve This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Fix Permanently
Let us first analyze what could be the reasons for encountering such error message. The reasons can be one of the following :
- You are not running a genuine copy of Windows.
- Your license has expired.
- Sometimes, this is because of the windows update.
If we see the first reason, we emphasize on the genuine copy of Windows. So, if you have Genuine windows installed, it is not likely to get such error.
If you get the error “Windows 7 build 7601 not genuine”. It is because you have got the copy from a third-party agency or an unauthorized vendor. Make sure you get the error fixed by getting a Genuine copy of Windows.
Due to this, you may encounter an error “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Build 7600 error”. Genuine Windows is published by Microsoft officially. It is properly licensed & is supported by Microsoft or a trusted partner. It is the original product & is available only at Authentic Microsoft stores, sites or in the possession of trusted partners.
Any other source/third party agency/unauthorized vendor that tend to sell the copy of Windows does not provide properly licensed copy & their copy is considered non-Genuine or pirated & thus Microsoft does not support if you encounter with any problem or error because Microsoft Support only helps you resolve the issue when you buy Windows OS from Microsoft Store or their partnered authorized stores. You can check if your windows is a genuine version or not from here.
If you still encounter the error even after buying genuine Windows, it is probably because of the error caused by the update. The following methods help you fix the error saying “This Copy of Windows Is Not Genuine Fix”.
Method 1: Uninstall update KB971033
This method will only allow you to get rid of the error “This copy of Windows is not genuine” & thus it will not be able to fix the issue. For uninstalling update KB971033, carry out the following steps :
- Open the Start Menu.
- Search for ‘Windows update’
- Select search result entitled ‘Windows Update’ under the ‘Programs’
- Click on View installed updates that appear in the left pane.
- Locate update KB971033, right-click on it & click on Uninstall. The update being faulty generates the error message.
- After uninstallation process has finished, restart your computer.
Method 2: Reset the licensing status
Go to Start Menu, Search for cmd and you will get codex in the search result. Right click on cmd.exe and then click on ‘Run as administrator’ and Command Prompt will pop up. It is important to run cmd using ‘Run as Administrator’; otherwise the issue will not get fixed.
Once the command prompt is opened, type the following command
Make sure you make no mistakes while typing the command & hit the ‘Enter’ button. A confirmation window will appear with the details of execution as :
Now Restart your computer and the error will disappear.
While using above method, you might come across with one of the following errors :
I. The maximum allowed number of rearms has been exceeded
II. SLGMR is not recognized as an internal or external command
If you encounter the first error, do the following things :
- Press Windows+R or open Run.
- Write regedit.exe & hit ‘Enter’
- Follow the path : HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE -> Software -> Microsoft -> WindowsNT -> Current version -> SoftwareProtectionPlatform.
- Look for SkipRearm& click modify.
- The data value will be 0. Change it to 1 and restart the computer.
If you encounter with the second error message, there are several reasons for it.
- Reason 1: The command ‘SLMGR –REARM’ is not written correctly. If you observe carefully, there is space between dash and R.
- Reason 2: Seems like you aren’t running cmd in administrator mode. Right click on cmd.exe and click ‘Run as Administrator’.
- Reason 3: Sometimes, there’s a problem with the file called ‘slmgr.vbs’. To fix this, carry out following steps-
- Open ‘My Computer’
- Open C drive(or drive where Windows 7 is installed)
- Open windows folder.
- Look for the system32 folder and open it.
- Get slmgr.vbs.REMOVEWAT or Locate and right-click on a file named slmgr regardless of what its extension is and click on Rename in the contextual menu.
- Rename the file to vbs.
Note that the ‘SLMGR –REARM’ command-line is designed to work on 32-bit versions of the Windows 7 OS and works on almost all 32-bit versions of Windows 7 and a few 64-bit versions of Windows 7.
However, if you use this command-line & still see that the “This copy of Windows is not genuine” message after restarting your computer, you may have better luck repeating the steps listed and described above but this time using the following command-line instead of SLMGR –REARM: slmgr /rearm
If you want to make sure that you don’t see the annoying message “This copy of Windows is not genuine”; turn off automatic windows updates. Carry out the following steps :
- Open Start menu.
- Search for ‘Windows update’
- Select on the search result entitled Windows Update under the Programs.
- Click on Change settings that appear in the left pane.
- Open the drop-down menu that appears under Important updates & click on Never check for updates (not recommended) from the list of options& restart your computer.
If above methods don’t work, try this method(Windows 10)
- Open Run from Start menu or simple Press Windows+R.
- Type in the command rsop.msc and hit ‘Enter’
- Follow the path: Windows Settings > Security Settings > System Services
- Select Plug And Play
- Right click on it and you will see Startup.
- Click on Automatic.
- Now reopen Run and paste this command: gpupdate/force.
- And hit the enter button.
- Restart PC.
Although there are other methods to get rid of the error message, the above-mentioned methods are the easiest and working ones. It is recommended to use the latest versions of OS to avoid any malware attacks from hackers who usually prefer to attack PCs running orders OS versions.
Oops! There are no Comments
Have something to say about this article? Add your comment and start the discussion.